It was German immigrants who in 1895 established St. Michael the Archangel Catholic Church. Ursuline nuns opened a school at the parish two years later. The parish continued to grow and soon needed a larger place to worship.
Parishioners constructed a new stone church in 1939. It’s the same church used for Mass today. The church and parish thrived through the years requiring a larger school that was built in 1955. A centennial celebration ensued in 1995 with the dedication of a time capsule buried at the northeast corner of the church.
Today St. Michael’s consists of over 700 families from the local and surrounding communities.
This month’s calendar image was taken in 1913. At that time, it was common for multiple grade levels to learn in the same classroom. This photo is of the children in kindergarten through second grade. It is likely these kids all shared the same class room.
We do not have all the names and would like help from anyone who might help fill in the blanks. The names are as follows: